This month we celebrate men… and especially fathers. Although these solutions can be helpful for everyone, this month we have focused on solutions that are especially effective for men’s health. The main men’s issue that I see in my office over and over can be summarized in a few words: STRESSED… EXHAUSTED… SCATTERED.
More and more men have confessed behind the closed doors of my office just how depleted they feel. Their brain is constantly whirring with everything they need to do, but they just can’t focus or muster up enough energy to get everything done in a day. From taking care of the kids, to fixing things around the house, planning romantic date nights, client dinners and meeting work deadlines, there never seems to be enough time to do it all. If this sounds like you or a loved one, you are not alone. So many men are living a life ping-ponging between extreme stress and extreme fatigue, with no break in sight. It is no wonder heart disease, high blood pressure, and strokes are the main areas where men fall ill!
Well today we are going to bring a little support and love to all of the men in our lives who we admire. No fluffy to-do lists, these solutions are very much like the tools in a man’s toolbox - simple, practical, and most importantly…they get the job done!
OKAY MEN…HERE ARE 3 STEPS TO A HEALTHIER & HAPPIER YOU (along with some tools to add to your toolkit!)
1. GIVE YOURSELF A PRESSURE-RELEASE VALVE
This is priority #1. Almost all of the main dis-eases that affect men are the result of chronic stress. Your heart, your digestion, your manhood all suffer when your body is in fight-or-flight. But it isn’t really helpful to point this out, unless we have some effective solutions to help release some steam. Here are a couple of things that I have found really make a difference:
- TOOL #1: SCHEDULE IT - Put a reminder in your phone to notify you every 60 minutes to stand up, stretch, and take 3 long, deep breaths. This act alone can reset your entire nervous system and helps to stimulate the part of your brain and nervous system (the parasympathetics) that is in charge of relaxing the body. You will feel a difference immediately! Want to see some research? Click here to learn more about how breathing relieves stress. For extra credit, schedule some time to go for a walk, a run, a swim, anything to burn off some steam.
- TOOL #2: TULSI TO THE RESCUE! I really like Tulsi (Holy-Basil) for taking the edge off. Tulsi is an amazing herb that helps to make your body more adaptable. It lifts your energy when you are in need, it calms you when you are anxious, and it strengthens your immunity when you are most vulnerable. It is like your health armor, preparing you for anything that comes your way. My favorite way to take it is in the morning when I get up and at night before I go to bed. This way it helps to get me going for the day, and also helps me to wind down so I can get a restful sleep. There is a ton of research on the effectiveness of Tulsi. Here’s an article to get you started…
2. POWER UP!
Just like a car, your body needs fuel to perform at its best, and I’m guessing for most of you, you would like your body to run more like a high-performance BMW than a broken-down junker! Just like you put high octane gas into your car, you need to put high-energy food into your body. This doesn’t need to be difficult. Here are a few things I use to fuel up and get the motor runnin’:
- TOOL #3: GREEN JUICE: Fill your glass with fresh-pressed greens to get your energy really stimulated for the day. Choose from any dark leafy greens that you may have around, and add a piece of fruit such as an apple or lemon to sweeten it up. I like to make Green Lemonade by juicing a head of romaine, 3 stalks kale or chard, 2 lemons, and an apple, along with a heaping tablespoon of ORGANIC INDIA Moringa Powder. YUM! Green juice is one of the easiest ways to get in all of your vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes for the day. Green juice is like liquid energy in a glass. It helps to oxygenate your blood and infuses your cells with nutrients for a powerful energy boost.
- TOOL #4: ASHWAGANDHA: I think of Ashwagandha as “The Potent Warrior.” It has been used for centuries to build stamina, endurance, energy and strength - qualities that every man needs to feel strong and virile. Speaking of virility, Ashwagandha is renowned for its ability to enhance sexual vitality, which only sweetens the deal :)
- TOOL #5: BRAHMI: Brahmi is my go-to for “Calm Focus.” Brahmi is revered for its ability to improve memory and concentration while relaxing the nerves and easing anxiety. This is a wonderful herb for helping you stay energized and sharp without the jitteriness and edginess of artificial stimulants.
3. MAKE YOUR HEART HAPPY
Everyone knows that cardiovascular issues are the biggest culprits for men. I have found that the emotional factors are just as significant as the physical factors in a man’s heart health. We all want to feel satisfied, appreciated, and successful. Here are a few effective ways to support your heart…
- TOOL #6: AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE - Yes, my tagline is cheesy, but it works! Researchers at the University of Connecticut found that gratitude can have a protective effect in the prevention of heart attacks. Studying people who had experienced one heart attack, the researchers found that those patients who saw benefits and gains from their heart attack, such as becoming more appreciative of life, experienced a lower risk of having another heart attack. How cool is that? Click here to learn more about how gratitude positively affects your health…
But intention alone is not usually enough, here’s what I suggest you do: Put a notebook right next to your bed or schedule a reminder into your cell phone to reflect on at least 3 things that you are grateful for at the end of each day. Take a few minutes to write them down or add them as a note in your phone. Take a deep breath and really feel the impact of what you’ve recorded. This way you will get the maximum emotional and physical benefits of the act of daily gratitude.
Here’s my true hope…that by incorporating even a few of these simple suggestions, you have more energy, more peace, and more strength to enjoy the things that really matter to you in life.
To an even happier & healthier you!