Turmeric is no stranger to beauty rituals, and when it comes to skin, organic turmeric powder is a must! Gritty turmeric acts as a natural exfoliant, lending itself nicely to skin masks and scrubs.
In this face mask recipe, the organic turmeric powder provides a light skin buffer, while the fatty coconut milk and honey provide nourishment, a perfect complement! For those with very dry skin, the option of coconut oil may be added for an extra oomph of moisture (this is a must for me - I am a vata constitution so I naturally have drier skin, and I live in a very dry climate!)
Two key points to remember when applying a turmeric face mask:
1) Yes it can stain!
- Wear a dark shirt; turmeric notoriously stains a yellow-orange hue, and can be difficult to get out of clothing or carpet.
2) Go organic!
- Conventional turmeric may contain added dye, as well as toxic chemicals and additives.
- 1 tbsp. organic, full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. ORGANIC INDIA's Organic Turmeric powder or 1 Turmeric Lift
- 1 tbsp. organic, raw honey
- ½ tsp. coconut oil (optional- for dry skin)
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pot or pan over the lowest heat.
- Mix together with a wooden spoon until well-blended.
- Once melted, pour the mask mixture into a ceramic or glass bowl to cool.
- Wait until the mixture is just warm to the touch, not hot. Then, use two fingers (or a small face brush or sponge) to begin applying the mixture gently onto your face, keeping it away from the eyes. You may need to apply several layers worth.
- After applying the mask, wait for about 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off using warm water. Then dab gently with a towel; one that is not white and that you do not mind potentially getting discolored. You may need to rinse and dab 3 or 4 times to get the turmeric residue off.
- When complete, rinse your face with cool water.
Enjoy the refreshing feeling from an organic turmeric powder face mask!
ORGANIC INDIA's Turmeric:
- ORGANIC INDIA's organic turmeric powder is certified Organic, Non-GMO, Kosher, and Halal.
- ORGANIC INDIA uses whole herbs, founded in a belief that the sum of the parts of the whole plant are more balanced and synergistic than any one constituent. They honor the divine intelligence of nature, by keeping the herbal formulas as close to their original form as possible.These organic Tulsi infusions and herbal supplements are ethically grown and wildcrafted by small family farmers in India, using regenerative agriculture practices. Through a firm commitment to regeneration, ORGANIC INDIA provides meaningful livelihoods, restores vibrant health to the environment, and delivers whole herb solutions for healthy, conscious living.
Looking for more ways to add organic Turmeric to your life? Try this Tulsi Turmeric Spiced Salmon recipe!
About the Author
Andrea is a food justice activist, feminist, alternative health media producer, community organizer, certified nutrition therapy practitioner, and “moments embosser” (those who make regular moments pop). She was home schooled until high school, of which she attributes her insatiable curiosity, out-of-the-box-approach, and general poor taste in clothes. She loves meeting new people, especially the unapologetic beautiful weirdos, and has decided that her next professional calling is to write a sexual health rock opera, coming to a stage near you. Andrea currently works too many jobs, but they share one common mission: bringing people she knows, and those she still has yet to meet, dignity, joy, and love through food and community.